Yorkshire Dales Walking Weekender Austwick, Crummackdale
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of The Inn Way guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Austwick lies in the southern Yorkshire Dales in the heart of the Craven district, an area of gleaming limestone escarpments, beautiful green valleys and quaint villages, with the distinctive profile of flat-topped Ingleborough rising high above to the north. This is a truly beautiful and fascinating part of the Yorkshire Dales.
The Game Cock Inn is a lovely country pub located in the heart of the attractive village of Austwick, with its old stone cottages clustered around a beautiful village green, traditional village shop, narrow lanes and the crystal clear stream of Austwick Beck.
Mark Reid has written a number of walking guidebooks about the Yorkshire Dales including The Inn Way… to the Yorkshire Dales; he has walked extensively throughout the Yorkshire Dales and knows the footpaths, hills and fells intimately.
Walking Weekend based from: Game Cock Inn, Austwick
There will be a choice of two guided walks on Saturday and Sunday, with Mark Reid and his colleague (Mountain Leaders who have exceptional local knowledge). The precise routes will be determined just before the weekend, taking into consideration weather conditions etc. You will be able to sign up for your chosen walk at the Friday evening ‘icebreaker’, where you will also be able to discuss the walks with Mark.
Friday evening (8pm) – Meet at the Game Cock Inn for our ‘icebreaker’ pub evening, where you can meet your fellow walkers and choose your walk for Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday (9:30am) – choice of adventurous or leisurely walks, with routes across the dales, hills and fells of the southern Yorkshire Dales, including Ingleborough, Thwaite Scars, Moughton Scars, Smearsett Scar, Crummackdale, Ribblesdale and the famous Norber Erratics, as well as the lovely villages of Clapham, Wharfe and Feizor. Return back to the pub late afternoon to recount your day’s adventures.
Sunday (10am) – choice of adventurous or leisurely walks. Return back to the pub mid afternoon for a final drink before bidding fond farewells… until the next Walking Weekender!
Choice of walks: We usually offer a choice of adventurous or leisurely walks on both days. Saturday is a ‘full day’ from 9:30am until 5pm, whilst Sunday is a ‘half day’ from 10am until around 3pm. We will either split into two groups from the start, or we may walk as a larger group during the morning and then offer ‘longer’ or ‘shorter’ routes after lunch.
Friday evening (8pm) – Meet at the Game Cock Inn for our ‘icebreaker’ pub evening, where you can relax, socialise and meet your fellow walkers, choose your level of walk for Saturday and Sunday.
Arriving early on Friday? Your guides will be eating at the pub at 7pm on Friday evening – you are most welcome to join us for a meal; just let us know so we can add you to our table.
Saturday evening (7:30pm) – Meal at Game Cock Inn (optional), followed by a fantastic Pub Quiz Night with Mark Reid as your quizmaster! Prizes for the winning team.
Grasmere facilities & accommodation
How to get to Austwick
Austwick lies just off the A65 to the north-west of Settle in North Yorkshire. The nearest train station are at Clapham on the Skipton to Lancaster line (3 miles) or Settle on the Leeds to Carlisle line (5 miles); there is a regular bus service between Settle and Austwick.
Austwick offers a range of facilities including the Game Cock Inn, hotel, B&Bs, campsite (Dalesbridge) and traditional village shop.
Austwick offers a range of accommodation, including:
Game Cock Inn, Austwick
Traddock Country House Hotel, Austwick
Wood View B&B, Austwick
Dalesbridge Campsite, Pods, Bunkhouse & Cabins
Austwick Village Website
A quick ‘google’ will find many more places to stay nearby…
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
Experience & fitness
- No walking experience required. Full guidance will be given.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times. All walks may include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, valleys, limestone pavements, limestone moorland, open hills and high fells, pathless hillsides, paths and tracks, lanes and country roads as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions. A typical day’s walk in the Yorkshire Dales.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats. Please provide boots.
- We are fully qualified, insured and first aid trained Mountain Leaders.
- So far, we have taken over 17,000 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our full Terms and Conditions can be found on here
* The choice of walks is dependent upon there being more than 10 participants taking part in the weekend; if there are less than 10 participants then there will be one walk per day (full day’s walk on Saturday and shorter walk on Sunday, finishing mid afternoon).