We’re passionate about using the countryside, hills and mountains in a sustainable way.
Our ethos is to…
- Always give something back to the local area
- Stay, eat and drink locally
- Work closely with local businesses
- Promote public transport
- Tread carefully and lightly
- Inform, educate and inspire
- Reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible.
- Plan our courses and walks so that we reduce down travel time as much as possible throughout the year;
plan walks in similar locations on consecutive days to reduce travel
- Use locations with good public transport links as much as possible
- Promote public transport in all correspondence
- Promote car sharing for groups and corporate bookings
- Offer a pick up and drop off service to the nearest railway station
- Choose locations that do not require the use of a car once the group has arrived.
- Plan our courses and walks so that we always use villages with a good variety of accommodation and
public transport links
- Use local pubs and cafes to base our walks from
- Promote accommodation options for all of our courses, to encourage people to stay overnight.
- Plant one deciduous tree in the Yorkshire Dales for every corporate booking
- Donate to the Yorkshire Three Peaks project
- Encourage Green Transport to courses and walks by promoting car sharing and public transport.
Working with the Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust, we plant a tree in the Yorkshire Dales for every corporate ‘team walking’ day. During December 2019 and 2021 we also donated 5% of our sales towards this tree planting project, and planted an additional 30 trees.
Trees planted so far: 184
- Tread lightly and carefully as the moors and mountains are fragile landscapes that support rare wildlife.
- Keep to paths to avoid expanding erosion to the side of the paths
- Pick up ALL litter that we see. Carry EVERYTHING out with us that we brought in
- Carry out all biodegradable waste, including apple cores and banana skins
- Take people to quieter areas and onto Access Land to reduce our impact on busier routes
- Use a variety of venues and locations to avoid over use
- Educate, discuss and inform people about our environmental impact, natural environment and rare habitats
- Educate, discuss and inform people about how we can all reduce our impact on the environment
- Keep group sizes to within reasonable ratios to reduce our impact with regards to noise, erosion and detrimental effects to the environment.
Kit, Clothing and Equipment
- Maintain and repair our outdoor clothing and kit to make it last longer
- Recycle as much as possible
- Educate our clients about using re-usable plastic water bottles, rather than single-use water bottles.
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories, kill nothing but time