1-DAY RELOCATION SKILLS COURSES IN THE YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
This 1-day Relocation skills course in the Yorkshire Dales is ideal for experienced and accomplished hill-walkers who want to…
- Know what to do if the mist comes down, or you get lost (misplaced)
- Develop a set of reliable techniques to help you get back on track
- Stay calm and focussed when you are unsure of your location, and deal with the situation effectively
- Learn what information you can use around you to establish your location
- Understand the various strategies to use to get back on track
- Brush up on your hill & navigation skills (bearings, contours, distance estimation etc)
During the course, we will move progressively into more challenging terrain and conditions, and we will actively seek out poor visibility and featureless terrain. Once we have coached you on the key relocation skills, then we will get you ‘lost’ so you can put your new skills into practice (you will always be accompanied by your instructor, so you won’t be truly lost!).
- Skills, strategies & techniques for relocation when you are misplaced or lost
- Key Relocation skills for valleys, hills, featureless terrain and poor visibility
- Strategies for finding features (linear, area & spot features)
- Search techniques
- Importance of planning – escape routes & safety bearings
- Plus... brush up your key hill, map & navigation skills
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at a country pub to discuss the day ahead over complementary tea/coffee.
9:30am – 5pm: Full day’s relocation, navigation and hill skills training course in the Yorkshire Dales. The walk will usually cover between 6 and 8 miles over the course of the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practise skills and ask questions.
5pm: De-brief back at the pub or cafe, and a well-earned drink!
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England; he also has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster. Mark Reid has walked over 21,000 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 11,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE & FITNESS
- This course is suitable for accomplished hill-walkers with good navigation skills. Full training and guidance will be given during the day.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 to 8 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, open moorland (including heather), hills and open country tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 10,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our courses are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the activity by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions