1-DAY RELOCATION SKILLS COURSES IN THE YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
This 1-day Relocation skills course in the Yorkshire Dales is ideal for experienced and accomplished hill-walkers who want to…
- Know what to do if the mist comes down, or you get lost (misplaced)
- Develop a set of reliable techniques to help you get back on track
- Stay calm and focussed when you are unsure of your location, and deal with the situation effectively
- Learn what information you can use around you to establish your location
- Understand the various strategies to use to get back on track
- Brush up on your hill & navigation skills (bearings, contours, distance estimation etc)
During the course, we will move progressively into more challenging terrain and conditions, and we will actively seek out poor visibility and featureless terrain. Once we have coached you on the key relocation skills, then we will get you ‘lost’ so you can put your new skills into practice (you will always be accompanied by your instructor, so you won’t be truly lost!).
- Skills, strategies & techniques for relocation when you are misplaced or lost
- Key Relocation skills for valleys, hills, featureless terrain and poor visibility
- Strategies for finding features (linear, area & spot features)
- Search techniques
- Importance of planning – escape routes & safety bearings
- Plus... brush up your key hill, map & navigation skills
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at a country pub to discuss the day ahead over complementary tea/coffee.
9:30am – 5pm: Full day’s relocation, navigation and hill skills training course in the Yorkshire Dales. The walk will usually cover between 6 and 8 miles over the course of the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practise skills and ask questions.
5pm: De-brief back at the pub or cafe, and a well-earned drink!
EXPERIENCE & FITNESS
- This course is suitable for accomplished hill-walkers with good navigation skills. Full training and guidance will be given during the day.
- We usually cover around 6 to 8 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, open moorland (including heather), hills and open country tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 10,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Terms and Conditions