NIGHT NAVIGATION COURSE YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Ever got caught in the dark at the end of your walk?
Do you worry about what to do if the mist comes down?
This evening training course will give you the key skills needed to deal with nightfall and/or poor visibility when out on the hills.
Ideal as a refresher for NNAS Bronze or Silver award holders or those working towards their NNAS Silver/Gold awards or ML assessment as well as experienced hill-walkers who wish to brush up their hill skills. Or perhaps you would just like to go for a walk on the hills at night!
DO YOU WANT TO…
- Learn micro navigation skills, including contour interpretation
- Master accurate distance estimation
- Get to grips with key map and compass skills
- Learn what features to use and what to look for on the map
- Take bearings and follow them in the dark
- Walk in confidence with an experienced Mountain Leader
- Savour the outdoors at night under a starlit sky (hopefully!)
- Experience a nocturnal world out on the hills of the Yorkshire Dales
OUTLINE OF THE EVENING
6pm: Meet in a Dales village. Pre-walk briefing, weather & gear check.
6:30pm – 10:30pm: Fully guided night navigation training walk, taking in paths, tracks, hills and open country.
10:30pm: Return back to the village (finish time is approximate)
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 25,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 14,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 25 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- These guided Night Navigation walks will include rough terrain, a number of inclines and reduced visibility; we may encounter adverse weather conditions.
- Walking at night requires extra care and attention, as visibility is reduced and it is also usually colder at night.
- A reasonable level of fitness will be required.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 13,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimise potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Over 18s – our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions