1-DAY MAP READING COURSES YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Good navigation skills are your passport to freedom on the hills.
Our most popular course – 1,398 people so far!
Our 1-day Map Reading courses are enjoyable, informative and fun. Learning is informal, relaxed and supportive, with plenty of practical experience out in the Yorkshire Dales countryside with a small group of like-minded people.
Our Map Reading courses are suitable for everyone from novices to more experienced countryside walkers.
Our 1-day Map Reading course covers all of the key topics to get you on the right path to enjoy the countryside, from weather forecasts and essential kit to understanding maps, using a compass, navigation strategies and relocation techniques.
We cover around 6 miles over the day, following paths across farmland, valleys, riversides, woodland, hills and moorland in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
DO YOU WANT TO..?
- Learn new outdoor skills
- Be more confident outdoors
- Learn to read a map and use a compass
- Increase your enjoyment of the countryside
- Plan your own walks and not rely on others
- Stay safe on the hills
- Explore more and visit new areas
- Leave feeling inspired and ready to do more!
CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS
Aysgarth Falls, Wensleydale
Clapham, Three Peaks
Sedbergh, Howgill Fells
OUTLINE OF THE COURSE
Pre-course: Unlimited access to our online video tutorials. Watching these videos before the course will allow us more practical time outdoors, and allow you more time to absorb concepts and skills.
- Weather Forecasts & Conditions
- Route Planning (maps & digital)
- Essential Kit & Looking after Yourself
- Understanding OS Maps & Symbols
- Practical Map Reading (filmed at Grassington, Yorkshire Dales)
- Navigation Strategies
9:30am: Meet at a village car park in the Yorkshire Dales (with facilities)
9:30am – 4:30pm: Full day’s map, compass and navigation training in the Yorkshire Dales with Mark Reid. The walk will usually cover around 6 miles over the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practice skills and ask questions.
4:30pm – 5pm: De-brief back at the village
View photos from some previous courses:
“Thank you for a very enjoyable and informative day yesterday. I learnt so much! Went for an 8 mile walk from Malham Tarn today and practised everything you taught us yesterday. Husband most impressed when I was able to identify which of two paths to take using my compass!!” S. Yule
“A fabulous day out in the Dales; learning, sharing and laughing. I’d recommend the course to anyone who enjoys walking in the countryside: no matter what your existing skill level, you can learn something new.” B. Crookes
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 25,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 14,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 25 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE & FITNESS
- No experience required. Full training and guidance will be given. This course is suitable for beginners.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, moorland, hills and valleys, tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 13,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our courses are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the activity by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions