14-day Walking Holiday Wainwright's Coast to Coast
192 miles from St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay
Fulfil your dreams & experience the walk of a lifetime!
Walk the famous Coast to Coast long distance walk in the company Mark Reid, a highly experienced Mountain Leader and Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS), who will share his extensive knowledge of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors with you, with plenty of little detours and extra experiences along the way.
ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE…
- Walk one of the world’s best long distance walks in the company of an experienced Mountain Leader
- Explore the geology, history & heritage of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Vale of Mowbray & North York Moors
- Relax in cosy country inns each evening
- Share the experience with like-minded walkers
- Forget about map reading, and enjoy the journey from one coast of England to the other!
- Mark Reid has walked the Coast to Coast seven times, so knows the route well
Pre-walk accommodation included on Saturday night at St Bees or Kirkby Stephen (with transport to St Bees at 8am on Sunday morning).
We will meet at 10am on Sunday morning at St Bees beach. After picking up a small pebble and dipping our toes in the Irish Sea, we’ll set off on our walk at 10:30am. We will finish the walk 14 days later on Saturday afternoon at around 4pm at Robin Hood’s Bay, with transport back to Kirkby Stephen.
– St Bees to Ennerdale Bridge (15 miles)
2. – Ennerdale Bridge to Seatoller (14 miles)
– Seatoller to Grasmere (9 miles)
– Grasmere to Patterdale (8 miles)
– Patterdale to Shap (15 miles)
– Shap to Kirkby Stephen (20 miles)
– Kirkby Stephen to Keld (12 miles)
– Keld to CB Inn, Arkengarthdale (10 miles)
– CB Inn to Richmond (13 miles)
– Richmond to Danby Wiske (15 miles)
11. Day 11 – Danby Wiske to Osmotherley (12 miles)
– Osmotherley to Blakey Ridge (20 miles)
– Blakey Ridge to Grosmont (14 miles)
– Grosmont to Robin Hood’s Bay (15 miles)
NB: At the end of each day, Mark will guide you to your accommodation. You will then have free time to relax until we meet the next morning at 9am. Mark will book a table each evening for a group meal at 7:30pm (optional). All distances & overnight locations are approximate. The ‘official’ distance of this walk is 192 miles; however, with little detours, walking to our B&Bs etc then the actual distance is nearer 200 miles.
Guided Coast to Coast walks:
Sharon Kennedy: 7th – 20th April 2024
Richard Duckworth: 11th – 24th May 2024
Mark Reid: 22nd Sept – 5th Oct 2024
Same itinerary as above. All guides are fully qualified and highly experienced Mountain Leaders
WALKING HOLIDAY PACKAGE
We have teamed up with the Coast to Coast Packhorse company, who are offering a complete ‘walkers package’ for this trip, which will mean just one point of contact to arrange this wonderful walking holiday. Your contract for this Walking Holiday will be with Coast to Coast Packhorse; TeamWalking will be working on behalf of Coast to Coast Packhorse to provide the walking guides.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS, TRAINING, KIT ETC
- This is a 14-day walking trip across the North of England, taking in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. Full guidance will be given. In the UK we call this long distance walking; in other parts of the world this is known as hiking or trekking.
- Wainwright’s route is quoted as being 192 miles; these are flat map miles. There are hills, mountains and rough terrain along the way. We may take small detours to viewpoints or points of interest, and there are high/low route options on some days. We will also walk around some of the larger villages, walk to restaurants/pubs etc. The total mileage is therefore around 200 miles.
- Multi-day walking across valleys, hills, fells and mountains requires a GOOD LEVEL OF FITNESS and STAMINA, as we will be walking up to 20 miles each day for 14 days in succession.
- TRAINING – you MUST TRAIN for this long distance walk by undertaking a number of training walks and increase your exercise and activity levels for several weeks prior to this walk. You MUST complete at least FOUR 2-day walks of at least 12 miles on consecutive days prior to this walking holiday (I would suggest four walking weekends). In my experience from the seven Coast to Coast walks I’ve guided, the people who do little or no training struggle with the consecutive walking days and often have to take rest days.
- Please provide your own walking boots, and ensure they are properly worn in and comfortable.
- The terrain includes field, riverside, woodland, moorland, hill, fell and mountain paths and tracks, some of which are uneven, rough, rocky, wet and boggy underfoot; there is mountainous terrain, open hills and moorland for 10 days out of the 14 days. The route also includes lanes and roads, as well as numerous stiles and stream crossings. We may also experience adverse weather conditions on the hills and mountains.
- There are sustained ascents and descents on many of the days, and the highest point of the walk is Kidsty Pike (780m) in the Lake District; some of the paths are steep. There will be regular rest stops throughout the day, as well as 30-mins for lunch.
- Please provide a packed lunch each day, as it is not a good idea to rely on pubs/cafes for lunchtime food. We will call into cafes along the way for refreshments, however, as this is an adventurous activity then we ask you to only consume alcohol in the evenings.
- Mark Reid is an experienced Mountain Leader. Mark has walked over 27,000 miles of footpaths throughout the North of England over the last 25 years and knows the Yorkshire Dales extremely well. Since 2007, we have taken over 17,000 people out walking in the hills.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- The contract for this Walking Holiday is with Coast to Coast Packhorse.
- Terms and Conditions.