14-day Walking Holiday Wainwright's Coast to Coast
192 miles from St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay
Fulfil your dreams & experience the walk of a lifetime!
NB: Please provide your own outdoor clothing and kit if you can. The evening social events may be subject to any Covid restrictions at the time of the event.
Walk the famous Coast to Coast long distance walk in the company Mark Reid, a highly experienced Mountain Leader and Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS), who will share his extensive knowledge of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors with you, with plenty of little detours and extra experiences along the way.
READ OUR BLOG – 2017 WALK
ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE…
- Walk one of the world’s best long distance walks in the company of an experienced Mountain Leader
- Explore the geology, history & heritage of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Vale of Mowbray & North York Moors
- Relax in cosy country inns each evening
- Share the experience with like-minded walkers
- Forget about map reading, and enjoy the journey from one coast of England to the other!
We will meet at 10am on Sunday 26th September 2021 at St Bees beach. After picking up a small pebble and dipping our toes in the Irish Sea, we will start our walk at 10:30am. We will finish the walk on Saturday 9th October 2021 at around 4pm at Robin Hood’s Bay
– St Bees to Ennerdale Bridge (15 miles)
2. Mon 27th Sept 2021 – Ennerdale Bridge to Rosthwaite (15 miles)
– Rosthwaite to Grasmere (8 miles)
– Grasmere to Patterdale (8 miles)
– Patterdale to Shap (16 miles)
– Shap to Kirkby Stephen (20 miles)
– Kirkby Stephen to Keld (12 miles)
– Keld to Reeth (11 miles)
– Reeth to Richmond (11 miles)
– Richmond to Danby Wiske (15 miles)
11. Wed 6th Oct 2021 – Danby Wiske to Osmotherley (12 miles)
– Osmotherley to Blakey Ridge (20 miles)
– Blakey Ridge to Egton Bridge (12 miles)
– Egton Bridge to Robin Hood’s Bay (17 miles)
15. Sun 10th October 2021 – onward travel from Robin Hood’s Bay
All distances are approximate.
NB: At the end of each day, Mark will guide you into the village centre. You will then have free time to relax at your accommodation until we meet the next morning at 9am. Due to social distancing measures, we will not be able to have group meals, so please arrange your own evening meal.
WALKING HOLIDAY PACKAGE
We have teamed up with the Coast to Coast Packhorse company, who are offering a complete ‘walkers package’ for this trip, which will mean just one point of contact to arrange this wonderful walking holiday. Your contract for this Walking Holiday will be with Coast to Coast Packhorse; TeamWalking will be working on behalf of Coast to Coast Packhorse to provide the walking guides.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 24,000 miles of footpaths over the past 24 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS, TRAINING, KIT ETC
- This is a 14-day walking trip across the North of England, taking in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. Full guidance will be given. In the UK we call this long distance walking; in other parts of the world this is known as hiking or trekking.
- Wainwright’s route is quoted as being 192 miles; these are flat map miles. There are hills, mountains and rough terrain along the way. We may take small detours to viewpoints or points of interest, and there are high/low route options on some days. We will also walk around some of the larger villages, walk to restaurants/pubs etc. The total mileage is therefore around 200 miles.
- Multi-day walking across valleys, hills, fells and mountains requires a GOOD LEVEL OF FITNESS and stamina, as we will be walking up to 20 miles each day for 14 days in succession.
- You MUST train for this long distance walk by undertaking a number of training walks and increase your exercise and activity levels for several weeks prior to this walk. You MUST complete at least FOUR 2-day walks of at least 12 miles on consecutive days prior to this walking holiday (I would suggest four walking weekends).
- Please provide your own walking boots, and ensure they are properly worn in and comfortable.
- The terrain includes field, riverside, woodland, moorland, hill, fell and mountain paths and tracks, some of which are uneven, rough, rocky, wet and boggy underfoot. The route also includes lanes and roads, as well as numerous stiles and stream crossings. We may also experience adverse weather conditions on the hills and mountains.
- There are sustained ascents and descents on many of the days, and the highest point of the walk is Kidsty Pike (780m) in the Lake District; some of the paths are steep. There will be rest stops throughout the day, as well as 30-mins for lunch.
- Please provide a packed lunch each day, as it is not a good idea to rely on pubs/cafes for lunchtime food. We will call into cafes along the way for refreshments, however, as this is an adventurous activity then we ask you to only consume alcohol in the evenings.
- Mark Reid is an experienced Mountain Leader. Mark has walked over 22,000 miles of footpaths throughout the North of England over the last 23 years and knows the Yorkshire Dales extremely well. Since 2007, we have taken over 12,000 people out walking in the hills.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- The contract for this Walking Holiday is with Coast to Coast Packhorse.
- Terms and Conditions.