DARK SKIES NIGHT HIKES YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Gaze in awe at the Milky Way, marvel at millions of stars and soak up the unique atmosphere of an evening hike on one of our Dark Skies Night Hikes in the Yorkshire Dales, a Dark Sky Reserve.
Our Night Hikes take place over the winter months and are timed to coincide with a full moon, so we can make the most of our nocturnal hiking experience!
We will head to heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, where there are exceptionally dark skies and a magnificent nocturnal environment.
All of our Dark Skies Night Hikes are guided by Mark Reid, a very experienced Mountain Leader who knows the Yorkshire Dales extremely well, so you can simply relax and follow Mark whilst marvelling at the night sky above!
- Amazing wide open skies of the Dark Sky Reserve
- Savour the outdoors at night under a starlit sky (hopefully!)
- Experience a nocturnal world out on the hills of the Yorkshire Dales
- Relax and enjoy the evening with our fully guided Night Hike
OUTLINE OF THE EVENING
6pm: Meet in a Dales village. Pre-walk briefing, weather & gear check.
6:30pm – 10pm: Fully guided night hike in the Yorkshire Dales Dark Sky Reserve. The walks will be between 4 – 6 miles, and we’ll take our time to soak up the unique nocturnal atmosphere. The terrain will be paths, tracks and lanes across fields, pastureland, riversides and moorland. There will be some hills to climb, where we’ll get great views.
10pm: Return back to the village pub for a post-walk drink (finish time is approximate)
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 25,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 14,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 25 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- These guided Night Hikes walks will include rough terrain, a number of inclines and reduced visibility; we may encounter adverse weather conditions.
- Walking at night requires extra care and attention, as visibility is reduced and it is also usually colder at night.
- A reasonable level of fitness will be required.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 13,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimise potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Over 18s – our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions