1-day Guided Mountain Hikes Crinkle Crags & Bowfell, Lake District
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Mountain walk – Crinkle Crags (859m) & Bow Fell (902m)
Reach the summit of Crinkle Crags (Lakeland’s finest ridge walk) & Bowfell (perhaps Lakeland’s finest mountain) – with an experienced Mountain Leader.
Experience the thrill of the mountains, with spectacular views, dramatic landscapes and a real sense of achievement as you reach the summit. Our route will take in Crinkle Crags, Bowfell & the famous Great Slab and Climbers’ Traverse, for a fantastic mountain experience!
- Experience the thrill of the mountains
- Walk in confidence with a Mountain Leader
- Learn new mountain skills along the way
- Small group sizes (max. 8 per walk)
- Enjoy a full day’s walking along a classic mountain route
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9:30am: Meet at Old Dungeon Ghyll, Great Langdale to discuss the day
9:45am – 5pm: Full day’s mountain hike to the summits of Crinkle Crags and Bowfell, via the exciting Climbers’ Traverse and the Great Slab
5pm: Debrief back at the Old Dungeon Ghyll, then head home.
NB: All timings are approximate. The route is approximately 16-km (10 miles), with 1,050m of ascent and descent across mountainous terrain. The route is steep and rocky in places, and the Climbers’ Traverse path is narrow with steep drops to the side of the path in places; a good head for heights is required.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous experience required as full guidance will be given.
- A good level of fitness is required as the walks will be demanding and will include steep and mountainous terrain. This is a physically demanding full day in the mountains.
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough and mountainous terrain, stream crossings, steep ground and mountain summits; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- The walk will include some sections of scrambling (hands on rock) up some rock steps, as well as prolonged stretches across boulders and broken ground, with several steep sections; the Climbers Traverse is a narrow path across a steep slope, but is a walking route.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 17,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions