1-day Guided Mountain Hikes Coledale Horseshoe, Lake District
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
NB: we are currently unable to provide any outdoor clothing or kit.
Tackle one of Lakeland’s finest ’rounds’ taking in the 9 MOUNTAIN SUMMITS of Barrow, Outerside, Sail, Crag Hill, Grasmoor (852m), Sand Hill, Hopegill Head, Hobcarton Crag and Grisedale Pike – with an experienced Mountain Leader.
Experience the thrill of the mountains, with spectacular views, dramatic landscapes and a real sense of achievement as you walk along the high-level broad ridges that encircle the valley of Coledale, in the North-Western Lakeland Fells.
The Coledale Horseshoe (also known as the Coledale Round) is one of Lakeland’s finest mountain walks. It is physically demanding walk covering 11 miles (17.5-km) with 1,450m of ascent, which requires a good level of fitness.
- Experience the thrill of the mountains
- Walk in confidence with a Mountain Leader
- Learn new mountain skills along the way
- Small group sizes (max. 8 per walk)
- Enjoy a full day’s walking along a classic mountain route
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at Braithwaite (near Keswick) to discuss the day ahead
9:15am – 6pm: Full day’s mountain hike around the classic Lakeland mountain walk of the Coledale Horseshoe (approx. 12 miles)
6pm: Debrief back at Braithwaite, then head home
NB: All timings are approximate
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 23,000 miles of footpaths over the past 24 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous experience required as full guidance will be given.
- A good level of fitness is required as this is a strenuous walk that includes steep and mountainous terrain. This is a physically demanding full day in the mountains covering 11 miles (17.5-km) with 1,450m of ascent (and descent).
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough and mountainous terrain, stream crossings, steep ground and mountain summits; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- This walk includes some sections of easy scrambling (hands on rock) up/down some rocky steps, as well as prolonged stretches across broad mountain ridges and spurs, with several steep sections.
- The summits of Grasmoor, Sand Hill and Hopegill Head are ‘optional’ and we may miss these out due to bad weather conditions, time constraints or group needs.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 12,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions