1-day Guided Mountain Hikes Blencathra via Hall's Fell Ridge, Lake District
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Reach the summit of Blencathra – one of England’s most famous mountains – with an experienced Mountain Leader. The walk will take in the classic arete of Hall’s Fell Ridge (Grade 1 scramble) on one of England’s finest mountain walks to the summit of Blencathra, also known as ‘Saddleback’.
Experience the thrill of the mountains, with spectacular views, dramatic landscapes and a real sense of achievement as you reach the summit.
- Experience the thrill of the mountains
- Walk in confidence with a Mountain Leader
- Learn new mountain skills along the way
- Small group sizes (max. 6 per walk)
- Enjoy a full day’s walking along a classic mountain route
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9:30am: Meet at Threlkeld to discuss the day ahead
10am – 5pm: Full day’s mountain hike to the summit of Blencathra via Hall’s Fell Ridge
5pm: Debrief back at Threlkeld, then head home.
NB: All timings are approximate. The route is approximately 10-km (6.25 miles), with 800m of ascent and descent across mountainous terrain. The route is steep and rocky in places, and includes prolonged section of scrambling (hands on rock) along the exposed ridge (Grade 1) of Hall’s Fell Ridge; a head for heights is required. If it is very windy (30mph+) on the ridge then we may use an alternative route.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- Some experience of hill walking is preferable as this is a full day’s mountain walk, although full training and guidance will be given.
- A good level of fitness is required as the walks will be demanding and will include steep and mountainous terrain.
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough and mountainous terrain, stream crossings, steep ground and mountain summits; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- The walk will include a prolonged section of scrambling (hands on rock) along the exposed ridge (Grade 1) of Hall’s Fell Ridge in the Lake District, and so a good head for heights is required.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 17,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions