YORKSHIRE SQUARE WALK WENSLEYDALE CHALLENGE WALK
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ & Mountain Leader
Middleham – Leyburn – Bolton Castle – West Burton – Coverdale
38 km (24 miles) – 800 metres of ascent – 11 hours
The Yorkshire Square Walk was first devised in 1999 by Mark Reid as a challenge walk to celebrate the launch of Black Sheep Brewery’s Yorkshire Square Ale and also raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Successfully held for three years, this challenge walk then fell by the wayside due to the 2001 Foot & Mouth crisis.
Mark Reid re-launched this fantastic challenge walk in 2014, and now offers it as a 1-day guided challenge walk, with Mark leading the way and sharing his knowledge of the Yorkshire Dales with you. The route takes in the beautiful rolling countryside of Wensleydale, with castles, waterfalls, villages and wonderful views along the way. The highest point is the moorland ‘pass’ between the valleys of Walden and Coverdale (485 metres), but for most of the route the walk follows field, woodland and riverside paths walking from village to village.
Highlights include: Leyburn Shawl, Redmire Church, Bolton Castle, Carperby, Aysgarth Falls, West Burton, Height of Hazely moorland pass, Coverdale, Braithwaite Hall, Hullo Bridge and Middleham Castle
It is a demanding walk due to its length (38 km / 24 miles) and so must be approached with preparation and training, but it is also an rewarding walk that will be remembered for many years.
Mark Reid knows Wensleydale like the back of his hand and will guide you around this route (whilst also sharing his knowledge of the area), so that you can forget about navigating and concentrate on enjoying the walk and raising money for your chosen charity instead!
This guided walk is designed for solo or small groups of walkers who want to take on the Yorkshire Square Walk, but don’t want to worry about route finding.
- Fully guided walk with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Experience the camaraderie of walking a challenge route with other like-minded walkers
- Discover the history, heritage, flora and fauna of Wensleydale
- Share your sense of achievement with your fellow walkers
- Small group sizes – maximum 8 people per walk
- You are GUARANTEED not to get lost on our guided walk!
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
7:45am: Meet at Middleham
8am – 7pm: Fully guided walk around the Yorkshire Square Walk
7pm: Debrief back at Middleham, then head home
NB: Finish time is approximate
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 25,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 13,500 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 25 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- This is a long distance challenge walk that covers 38 km (24 miles) in a single day, with 800m of ascent that will take around 11 hours to complete. It is a long and demanding walk, with rough terrain in places as well as high ground across a moorland pass.
- A good level of fitness and stamina will be required to complete this walk; preparation and training will be necessary.
- Successful completion of this walk will depend upon your own level of fitness, stamina and preparation, as well as good fitting boots and no minor injuries along the walk, such as blisters, pulled muscles or sore knees etc. By taking part in this guided walk, you understand and accept the risks involved in undertaking a long distance challenge walk. Participation of this guided walk is no guarantee of successful completion.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 13,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimise potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions