Derbyshire Six Dales PEAK DISTRICT CHALLENGE WALK
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ & Mountain Leader
NB: we are currently unable to provide any outdoor clothing or kit.
A beautiful walk through six limestone Derbyshire Dales
43.5 km (27 miles) – 1,100 metres of ascent – 12 hours
The Derbyshire Six Dales challenge walk is a beautiful route through six stunning limestone valleys in the heart of the Derbyshire Peak District.
Starting and finishing in the lovely village of Hartington, the route takes in part of the High Peak Trail, the villages of Monyash, Middleton and Biggin, and six limestone dales including three National Nature Reserves of Lathkill Dale, Long Dale and Biggin Dale. Most of the route follows field, woodland, riverside and valley paths and tracks.
Long Dale / Gratton Dale
It is a demanding walk due to its length (43.5 km / 27 miles) and so must be approached with preparation and training, but it is also an rewarding walk that will be remembered for many years.
Mark Reid knows the Peak District like the back of his hand and will guide you around this route (whilst also sharing his knowledge of the area), so that you can forget about navigating and concentrate on enjoying the walk!
This guided walk is designed for solo or small groups of walkers who want to take on the Derbyshire Six Dales challenge walk, but don’t want to worry about route finding.
- Fully guided walk with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Experience the camaraderie of walking a challenge route with other like-minded walkers
- Discover the history, heritage, flora and fauna of the Peak District
- Share your sense of achievement with your fellow walkers
- Small group sizes – maximum 8 people per walk
- You are GUARANTEED not to get lost on our guided walk!
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
7am: Meet at Hartington, Peak District
7am – 7pm: Fully guided walk around the Derbyshire Six Dales challenge
7pm: Debrief back at Hartington, then head home
NB: Finish time is approximate
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 21,000 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 11,500 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- This is a long distance challenge walk that covers 43.5 km (27 miles) in a single day, with 1,100m of ascent that will take around 12 hours to complete. It is a long and demanding walk, with rough terrain in places.
- A good level of fitness and stamina will be required to complete this walk; preparation and training will be necessary.
- Successful completion of this walk will depend upon your own level of fitness, stamina and preparation, as well as good fitting boots and no minor injuries along the walk, such as blisters, pulled muscles or sore knees etc. By taking part in this guided walk, you understand and accept the risks involved in undertaking a long distance challenge walk. Participation of this guided walk is no guarantee of successful completion.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 11,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions