Boots & Beer Walking Weekender Patterdale, Lake District
Patterdale lies at the head of the beautiful lake of Ullswater, with the craggy heights of Place Fell to the east and the Helvellyn range to the west. The village is named after the valley in which it lies, one of Lakeland’s finest, and takes its name from St Patrick who came this way after his ship was wrecked off Morecambe Bay on his return from Ireland in the 5th Century. It is said that he baptised local people at the roadside well that still bears his name.
The White Lion is a traditional Lakeland inn that dates back over 200 years. Wordsworth used to call in for a drink, and was in the bar when news came through that Admiral Nelson had been killed at Trafalgar.
Mark Reid has written two books about the Lake District, including The Inn Way… to the English Lake District, (Sunday Times ‘travel book of the week’), and so knows the surrounding mountains extremely well.
LAKELAND, by John Welsh
Written for Boots & Beer Walking Weekend, Lake District (Oct 2018)
Water in the valleys
Water from the skies
The beauty that I see here
Draws water from my eyes
Cloud and mountain come together
Around a new screened view
Pause to catch a quickened breath
A Nation’s park for you
Fell, Pike, moor and dale
All march and merge as forest stand
To walk on paths like many others
This is your Promised Land
Walking Weekender based from: White Lion, Patterdale
Friday evening (9pm) – Meet at the White Lion for our ‘icebreaker’ pub evening, where you can relax, socialise and meet your fellow walkers, choose your level of walk for Saturday and Sunday. Friday and/or Saturday evening meals will be pre-ordered before the weekend. These meals are optional and are not included in the price.
Arriving early on Friday? Your guides (Mark, Graeme & Richard) will be eating at the pub at 7:30pm on Friday evening – you are most welcome to join us for a meal; just let us know so we can add you to our table.
Saturday evening (7:45pm) – Meal at White Lion (optional), followed by a fantastic Pub Quiz Night with Mark Reid as your quizmaster! Prizes for the winning team.
There will be a choice of three guided walks on Saturday and Sunday, with Mark Reid, Graeme Tiffany and Richard Tarran (Mountain Leaders who have exceptional local knowledge). The precise routes will be determined just before the weekend, taking into consideration weather conditions etc. You will be able to sign up for your chosen walk at the Friday evening ‘icebreaker’, where you will also be able to discuss the walks with Mark Reid.
Saturday (9:30am) – choice of adventurous (mountain), moderate (fell) or leisurely (valley & lower slopes) walks, with routes across the mountains, fells and dales. The mountain and fell routes may take in Fairfield, Helvellyn, St Sunday Crag, Cofa Pike, High Street, Sheffield Pike or Place Fell, whilst the lower level routes may take in Hartsop, Brother’s Water, Ullswater lakeshore and the Ullswater Steamers. Return back to the pub late afternoon to recount your day’s adventures.
Sunday (10am) – choice of adventurous, moderate or leisurely walks, with lower level valley and fell routes. Return back to the pub mid afternoon for a final drink before bidding fond farewells… until the next Walking Weekender!
Choice of walks: We usually offer a choice of adventurous, moderate or leisurely walks on both days. Saturday is a ‘full day’ from 9:30am until 5pm, whilst Sunday is a ‘half day’ from 10am until around 3pm. We will either split into two or three groups from the start, or we may walk as one group during the morning and then offer ‘longer’ or ‘shorter’ routes after lunch.
Patterdale facilities & accommodation
How to get to Patterdale
Patterdale is situated at the head of Ullswater along the A592 between Penrith and Windermere. The nearest train station is Penrith.
Patterdale is a small village with a pub (White Lion), Patterdale Hotel, B&Bs, Youth Hostel and campsite (Side Farm). There is also a well-stocked village shop, cafe (Side Farm) and bus service.
Patterdale offers a range of accommodation, including…
White Lion, Patterdale
Old Water View B&B, Patterdale
School House B&B, Patterdale
Grisedale Lodge, Patterdale (7 minute walk along a pavement)
Patterdale Youth Hostel (YHA)
Side Farm Camspite, Patterdale
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England; he also has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster. Mark Reid has walked over 20,000 miles of footpaths over the 20 years, and has taken over 10,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
Experience & fitness
- No walking experience required. Full guidance will be given.A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times. All walks may include uneven ground, rough and rocky terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, valleys, moorland, hills, fells, mountains, pathless hillsides, paths and tracks, lanes and country roads as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions. A typical Lakeland walk!
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats. Please provide boots.
- We are fully qualified, insured and first aid trained Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 10,000 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our full Terms and Conditions can be found on the Booking Form
* The choice of walks is dependent upon there being more than 10 participants taking part in the weekend; if there are less than 10 participants then there will be one walk per day (full day’s walk on Saturday and shorter walk on Sunday, finishing mid afternoon).