'Winter Dales Escape' Walking Weekend Burnsall, Yorkshire Dales
With Mark Reid author of ‘The Inn Way’ & Mountain Leader
Beat those Winter Blues with our 3-day walking break in Wharfedale in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
Based at Burnsall in the Yorkshire Dales, spend three days with Mark Reid walking through the stunning Wharfedale countryside – blow away the cobwebs, refresh and revitalise your mind, body & soul!
- 3 days of fantastic walks in the Yorkshire Dales
- Walks planned for you and guided by Mark Reid, so you don’t have to worry about route finding!
- Mark will share his knowledge of the history, heritage & geography of the area
- Social evenings at local pubs, including a quiz night!
- Enjoy some superb winter walks, cosy pubs and crackling log fires
Friday’s walk is optional; you can join us on Friday evening if you wish
Meet at 1pm: welcome briefing
1:30pm – 4:30pm: guided afternoon walk through Wharfedale, taking in the River Wharfe, Thorpe & Burnsall Fell (6 miles)
Evening: meal at the Red Lion at Burnsall
9:30am – 4:30pm: guided walk through Wharfedale, taking in Troller’s Ghyll, Parcevall Hall, Simon’s Seat and Appletreewick (10 miles)
Evening: meal at the Red Lion at Burnsall, and a Pub Quiz
10am – 3pm: guided walk through Wharfedale taking in Hebden, Linton and the River Wharfe (8 miles)
3pm: farewell drink at the Red Lion
Please note: The precise routes will be chosen on the day, given weather and ground conditions, and the preferences of the group. All timings are approximate.
BURNSALL – OUR BASE FOR THE WEEKEND
This walking break will be based from the lovely village of Burnsall, which is set on the banks of the River Wharfe in the heart of beautiful Wharfedale. Wharfedale is famed for its broad valley and winding river, ancient woodland, prehistoric remains, rolling hills, heather moorlands, attractive villages and beautiful views. The village of Burnsall boasts the fantastic Red Lion Inn, a boutique hotel, a couple of B&Bs and cafes. Evenings will be spent at the Red Lion Inn
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England; he also has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster. Mark Reid has walked over 21,000 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 11,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous experience required as full guidance will be given.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be be demanding at times.
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stream crossings and some steep ground; we may experience adverse winter weather conditions.
- The walks will NOT include any technical winter walking that would require specialist equipment.
- We can provide full waterproof walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 11,000 people out walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions