BESPOKE OUTDOOR COURSES Lake District or Yorkshire Dales
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
NB: we are currently unable to provide any outdoor clothing or kit.
Book a bespoke day outdoors with Mark Reid, a highly experienced Mountain Leader and Outdoor Instructor.
We will tailor the day just for you.
Our Bespoke Outdoor Courses allow you to choose exactly what you would like to learn and achieve from the day, as well as where and when you’d like to do it, so you can get the most from your day.
Our Bespoke Outdoor Courses are ideal for individuals, couples or small groups of friends or family.
Whether you are a novice navigator or working towards your Mountain Leader Award (ML), our Bespoke Courses are an ideal choice for an individual learning experience.
Choose from any of our Outdoor Skills courses…
- Map Reading Course
- Contour Navigation
- Relocation Skills
- Advanced Navigation
- Walk Leadership
- Night Navigation
- NNAS Bronze Navigator Award (2 days)
- Mountain Skills (2 days)
Mark will tailor the day just for you, so just get in touch and he’ll organise it for you.
Private Outdoor Courses
- Choose from locations in the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales
- 1:1 tuition or private groups
- Pre-course planning and briefings via Zoom
OUTLINE OF THE COURSE
Evening before: 1 hour ZOOM meeting to discuss the day, essential kit, weather, aims and objectives etc.
9:30am: We meet at an arranged location. Gear and weather check, then head off for the day.
9:30am – 5pm: Full day’s navigation training with Mark Reid. The walk will usually cover around 6 – 10 miles over the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practice skills and ask questions. The terrain will be dependent on the type of course you choose, from verdant valleys on our 1-day Map Reading course to rocky mountains on our Mountain Skills course.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 24,000 miles of footpaths over the past 24 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE & FITNESS
- No experience is required for most of our courses as full training and guidance will be given. Our Mountain Skills and Advanced Navigation courses are suitable for more experienced walkers.
- This Bespoke Outdoor Courses are suitable for individuals, couples or private groups of up to 4 people.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each person or small group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 – 10 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, moorland, hills, mountains (on our Mountain Skills course) and valleys, tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 11,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our courses are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the activity by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions