ADVANCED NAVIGATION MASTERCLASS IN THE YORKSHIRE DALES
With Mark Reid author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Preparing for your ML Assessment?
Working towards your NNAS Gold Award?
Competent Navigator who wants to perfect your skills?
This 1-day Advanced Navigation Skills Masterclass is ideal for experienced and accomplished hill-walkers.
During the course, we will move progressively into more challenging terrain and conditions, and we will actively seek out poor visibility and complex landform.
- Planning ahead – weather forecasts, clothing and kit for the hills
- Navigation skills, strategies & techniques
- Poor visibility and night navigation strategies
- Micro and macro navigation
- Compass bearings (map to ground and ground to map)
- Slope aspect and fall lines
- Navigating using contours
- Continuous location and relocation skills
- Accurate distance estimation over challenging terrain
- Use of different map scales: 1:25k, 1:40k and 1:50k
NB: This course is suitable for experienced hill-walkers and navigators
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at a country pub to discuss the day ahead over complementary tea/coffee.
9:30am – 5pm: Full day’s Advanced Navigation Training course in the Howgill Fells or Yorkshire Dales. The walk will usually cover between 6 and 8 miles over the course of the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practise skills and ask questions. The terrain will be complex, challenging and rough hills and moorland. We will be navigating in the dark for the final hour or so.
5pm: De-brief back at the pub or cafe, and a well-earned drink!
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England; he also has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster. Mark Reid has walked over 20,000 miles of footpaths over the 20 years, and has taken over 10,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE & FITNESS
- This course is suitable for accomplished hill-walkers with good navigation skills. Full training and guidance will be given during the day.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a good level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 to 8 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, open moorland (including heather), hills and open country tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 10,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our courses are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the activity by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions