WALK LEADERSHIP SKILLS ONLINE LEARNING
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
VIRTUAL WALK LEADERSHIP SKILLS COURSE
- Learn new skills from the comfort of your own home.
- Become an inspiring and engaging Walk Leader
- Manage your Walking Group safely and effectively
This Virtual Walk Leadership Skills course will develop your knowledge and skills to safely and effectively manage your walking group out in the countryside, whilst also highlighting the key attributes of an inspiring and engaging Walk Leader.
We will focus on pre-walk Planning and Preparation, Group Management and Walk Leadership.
Our online Virtual Walk Leadership Skills course is suitable for everyone who enjoys walking in the countryside in groups, from family and friends to walking groups and commercial outdoor providers.
NB: This course is not a formal Walk Leadership qualification.
Mark Reid has taken over 11,500 people out walking in the countryside since 2007, and has a wealth of experience dealing with all ages, abilities, conditions and situations.
OUTLINE OF THE ONLINE COURSE
There are two elements to this online course
A – Home Study
You will be sent a detailed email to help you prepare for the Interactive Workshop. Topics will include…
- Walk planning – pre-walk / on the day / what if’s / briefings
- Weather forecasts and Essential Kit
- An overview of Operating Procedures and Risk Assessments
- First Aid, Emergency Procedures and Incident Management
- Walk Leadership – lead, engage, manage, inspire
- Group Management – read your group, manage pace, change plans
- Outdoor Education – geography, history, fauna, flora
- Decision making, biases and traps
- Purpose, objectives, actions and outcomes – what’s the difference?
C – 2 hour Online Interactive Workshop with Mark Reid
This online workshop with Mark Reid (via Zoom) will highlight the key learning points from the topics listed above, namely Walk Planning, Group Management and Walk Leadership.
Please note: There are a lot of topics to cover. Some of the topics will only be covered briefly, which will give you information to then follow up yourself or get more formal training, for example First Aid. This course is not a formal Walk Leadership qualification.
WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED FOR THIS COURSE?
- Computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled.
- Sign up to ZOOM and VIMEO, both of which are FREE to join
HOW TO BOOK…
Choose one of the dates for your online Interactive Workshop from the drop-down menu in the BOOK NOW section. Once you have booked your Online Workshop, we will then send you an email with details of how to join your Online Workshop.
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 22,000 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE & INFORMATION
- There are a lot of topics to cover and information to get through, and so many of the topics will be reliant on good pre-course Home Study; some of the topics will only be covered briefly. This will give you information to then follow up yourself and look into in more detail or get more formal training, for example First Aid Training and also Risk Assessments and Operating Procedures.
- This course is not a formal Walk Leadership course, and will not give you any qualification to take people out walking in the countryside. For legal obligations with regards to Duty of Care, please seek specific legal advice.
- This course is suitable for everyone who enjoys walking in the countryside in groups, from family and friends to walking groups and commercial outdoor providers, and who wants to develop their skills and knowledge through online learning.
- You will need a computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled. You will also need to sign up to ZOOM which is FREE to join.
- This online course includes self directed learning Home Study, plus a 2 hour Online Workshop with Mark Reid.
- Mark Reid is a fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leader.
- So far, we have taken over 11,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Our online courses are suitable for all ages, abilities & fitness levels.
- Terms and Conditions