VIRTUAL UNDERSTANDING CONTOURS COURSE ONLINE LEARNING
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
“Just a quick thank you for yesterday’s course. I have to say it was an excellent way to learn about contour interpretation.” Stuart Wilde, Online Course
VIRTUAL UNDERSTANDING CONTOURS COURSE
- Learn new skills from the comfort of your own home.
- Learn about contours and how to use them as part of your navigation strategy.
- Practice your new skills on your own local walks.
- Prepare for your return to freedom in the Great Outdoors!
This Virtual Understanding Contours course will develop your skills to understand and visualise contours and landform out in the countryside using detailed learning videos, home study and an interactive online workshop with Mark Reid, tailored to your needs and experience.
We will focus on how contours represent shape, steepness, height, depth and direction of landform, and how to use these features as part of your navigation strategy.
Our online Virtual Understanding Contours course is suitable for everyone from novices to more experienced countryside walkers, as well as all ages, abilities and fitness levels!
Our online Understanding Contours course covers all you need to know about contours, as well as all of the key topics to get you on the right path to enjoy the countryside, from weather forecasts and essential kit to understanding maps and navigation strategies.
OUTLINE OF THE ONLINE COURSE
There are three elements to this online course
A – Video Tutorial
You will receive unlimited access to a detailed Video Tutorial covering the key learning points about contours:
- What is a contour?
- How contours represent shape (landform) – knoll, saddle, valley, spur, steep ground & flat ground.
- Steepness (angle) of slope, and what is too steep.
- Slope shapes – convex, concave, uniform and composite slopes.
- Height and depth – what’s going up and what’s going down, and how to know the difference.
- Direction a slope is facing (slope aspect) or along individual contours (contouring)
- Navigation Strategies using contours – break of slope, fall line, contouring, handrails, area features…
B – Home Study
You will be sent a detailed email to help you prepare for the Interactive Workshop, which will complement the Video Tutorial.
- Illustrations to highlight how contours represent landform.
- How to use contours and landform as part of your navigation strategy.
- Home Study Paper, to highlight the key learning points
C – 2 hour Online Interactive Workshop with Mark Reid
This online workshop with Mark Reid (via Zoom) will explain everything you need to know about contours and how to use them as part of your navigation strategy. This online learning will be illustrated with demonstrations, examples and interactive visuals (including OS Maps), tailored to your needs and experience.
WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED FOR THIS COURSE?
- Computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled.
- Sign up to ZOOM and VIMEO, both of which are FREE to join
HOW TO BOOK…
Choose one of the dates for your online Interactive Workshop from the drop-down menu in the BOOK NOW section. Once you have booked your Online Workshop, we will then send you an email with a link to the Video Tutorial, as well as details of how to join your Online Workshop.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 24,000 miles of footpaths over the past 24 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE & INFORMATION
- This course is ideal for beginners as well as more experienced walkers, who wish to improve and consolidate their contour interpretation and outdoor skills through online learning.
- You will need a computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled. You will also need to sign up to ZOOM and VIMEO, both of which are FREE to join.
- The Video Tutorial is hosted on Vimeo (private account). You will be given unlimited access to this video – only people who have purchased an online course, have a Vimeo account and Mark Reid then follows will be able to view the video. This Tutorial Video is only for people who have purchased an online course; please do not share this video with other people.
- Mark Reid reserves the right to remove the Video Tutorials from Vimeo, giving participants three month’s notice that access to the Video Tutorials will end.
- This online course includes self directed learning with a Video Tutorial, plus a 2 hour Online Workshop with Mark Reid.
- Mark Reid is a fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leader.
- So far, we have taken over 11,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Our online courses are suitable for all ages, abilities & fitness levels.
- Terms and Conditions