VIRTUAL MAP READING COURSE ONLINE LEARNING
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
VIRTUAL MAP READING
- Learn key navigation skills from the comfort of your own home.
- Practice your new skills on your own local walks.
- Prepare for your return to freedom in the Great Outdoors!
This online Map Reading course will develop your skills to plan and follow your own walks in the countryside using detailed learning videos and an interactive online workshop with Mark Reid, tailored to your needs and experience.
Our online Virtual Map Reading course is suitable for everyone from novices to more experienced countryside walkers, as well as all ages, abilities and fitness levels!
Our online Map Reading course covers all of the key topics to get you on the right path to enjoy the countryside, from weather forecasts and essential kit to understanding maps and navigation strategies.
OUTLINE OF THE ONLINE COURSE
There are two elements to this online course
A – Six Video Tutorials
You will receive unlimited access to 6 Video Tutorials covering the key aspects of Map Reading and Navigation Skills, with over 2.5 hours of footage packed full of skills, techniques, top tips and learning which you can watch as many times as you like. It will be helpful to watch these videos before the Online Workshop with Mark Reid. There is a question and answer sheet for each topic, which will highlight key learning.
The 6 Video Tutorials include…
- Weather Forecasts & Conditions
- Route Planning (maps & digital)
- Essential Kit & Looking after Yourself
- Understanding OS Maps & Symbols
- Practical Map Reading (filmed at Grassington, Yorkshire Dales)
- Navigation Strategies
B – 2 hour Online Interactive Workshop with Mark Reid
This online workshop with Mark Reid (via Zoom) will explain the key topics from the six videos, illustrated with demonstrations, examples and interactive learning, tailored to your needs and experience.
WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED FOR THIS COURSE?
- Computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled.
- Sign up to ZOOM and VIMEO, both of which are FREE to join
HOW TO BOOK…
Choose one of the dates for your online Interactive Workshop from the drop-down menu in the BOOK NOW section. Once you have booked your Online Workshop, we will then send you an email with links to the 6 Video Tutorials, as well as details of how to join your Online Workshop.
“Just a quick thank you for yesterday’s course. I have to say it was an excellent way to learn about contour interpretation.” – Stuart Wilde – Online Course
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 22,500 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE & INFORMATION
- This course is ideal for beginners as well as more experienced walkers, who wish to improve and consolidate their skills through online learning.
- You will need a computer, laptop or tablet, with your camera enabled. You will also need to sign up to ZOOM and VIMEO, both of which are FREE to join.
- The 6 Video Tutorials are hosted on Vimeo (private account). You will be given unlimited access to these videos – only people who have purchased an online course, have a Vimeo account and Mark Reid then follows will be able to view the videos. These Tutorial Videos are only for people who have purchased an online course; please do not share these videos with other people.
- Mark Reid reserves the right to remove the Video Tutorials from Vimeo, giving participants three month’s notice that access to the Video Tutorials will end.
- This online course includes over 2.5 hours of self directed learning with 6 Video Tutorials, plus a 2 hour Online Workshop with Mark Reid.
- Mark Reid is a fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leader.
- So far, we have taken over 11,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Our online courses are suitable for all ages, abilities & fitness levels.
- Terms and Conditions