Guided Mountain Hikes Helvellyn Midsummer Moonlight Hike
With Mark Reid author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
NEW DATE ADDED – 28th June 2020
Climb Helvellyn on the evening of the summer solstice and watch the sunset from the summit of Britain’s favourite mountain, followed by a moonlight walk down from the mountains.
Our Helvellyn Midsummer Moonlight Hike will follow one of England’s finest mountain walks to the summit of Helvellyn via Birkhouse Moor, Hole-in-the-Wall, Red Tarn and the classic arete of Swirral Edge (Grade 1 scramble), Helvellyn (950m), Helvellyn Lower Man, Whiteside Bank and Keppel Cove.
Our Helvellyn Midsummer Moonlight Hike is 9 miles (14 km) of breath-taking mountain scenery, with 1,050m of ascent (and descent) that will take around 6 hours to complete. We will reach the summit of Helvellyn at around 9:30pm, just in time to watch the summer solstice sunset at 9:51pm. We’ll then walk back down from the summit at dusk and into darkness, arriving back to Glenridding at midnight.
- Watch the sunset from the summit of Helvellyn on the longest day
- Experience the thrill of the moonlit mountains
- Walk in confidence with a Mountain Leader
- Small group sizes (max. 8 per leader)
- Enjoy a full day’s walking along a classic mountain route
Experience the thrill of the mountains, with spectacular views, dramatic landscapes and a real sense of achievement as you reach the summit and watch the sunset on the summer solstice.
OUTLINE OF THE EVENING
5:45pm: Meet at Glenridding to discuss the evening’s walk
6pm – midnight: Guided mountain hike to the summit of Helvellyn, England’s 3rd highest mountain, via Swirral Edge (sunset 9:50pm)
Midnight: Return back to Glenridding.
All timings are approximate.
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 21,000 miles of footpaths over the past 23 years, and has taken over 11,500 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- Some experience of hill walking is preferable as this is a full day’s mountain walk, although full training and guidance will be given.
- A good level of fitness is required as this is a strenuous walk that includes steep and mountainous terrain. This is a 9 mile (14km) mountain walk with 1,050m of ascent (and descent). Over 3 hours of this walk will be completed at dusk and in the dark.
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough and mountainous terrain, stream crossings, steep ground and mountain summits; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- The walk will include a prolonged section of scrambling (hands on rock) along the exposed ridge (Grade 1) of Swirral Edge in the Lake District, and so a good head for heights is required.
- We can provide full walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 11,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions