6-day Walking Holiday Hadrian's Wall National Trail
84 miles across England
Walk along the Northern Frontier of the Roman Empire
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of The Inn Way guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Walk in the footsteps of Romans along the world famous Hadrian’s Wall Path National Trail in the company Mark Reid, a highly experienced Mountain Leader and Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS), who will share his extensive knowledge of Northumberland, Cumbria and Hadrian’s Wall with you, with plenty of little detours and extra experiences along the way.
2022 is also the 1,900th anniversary of the building of Hadrian’s Wall, which dates back to AD122.
ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE…
- Walk along the Northern Frontier of the Roman Empire in the company of an experienced Mountain Leader
- Explore the geology, history & heritage of Hadrian’s Wall
- Relax in cosy country inns and hotels each evening
- Share the experience with like-minded walkers
- Forget about map reading, and enjoy the journey from coast to coast along Hadrian’s Wall!
We will meet at 9:30am on Sunday 26th June 2022 at Wallsend (Newcastle upon Tyne). After exploring Segedunum Roman Fort at Wallsend, we will start our walk at 10am.
- – Wallsend to Heddon-on-the-Wall (15 miles)
- – Heddon-on-the-Wall to Chollerford (15 miles)
- – Chollerford to Once Brewed (12 miles)
- – Once Brewed to Lanercost (14.5 miles)
- – Lanercost to Carlisle (13 miles)
- – Carlisle to Bowness on Solway (14.5 miles)
- – Leave Carlisle after breakfast
This is a total of 84 miles of walking in 6 days. All distances and timings are approximate.
Pre-walk accommodation can be arranged for anyone wishing to stay the night prior to the walk.
NB: At the end of each day, Mark will guide you to your accommodation. Evening meals will be arranged at our overnight accommodation (optional).
WALKING HOLIDAY PACKAGE
We have teamed up with the Coast to Coast Packhorse company, who are offering a complete ‘walkers package’ for this trip, which will mean just one point of contact to arrange this wonderful walking holiday. Your contract for this Walking Holiday will be with Coast to Coast Packhorse; TeamWalking will be working on behalf of Coast to Coast Packhorse to provide the walking guides.
HOW TO GET TO AND FROM THIS WALK
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 25,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 13,500 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 25 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS, TRAINING, KIT ETC
- This is a 6-day walking trip across the North of England from Wallsend to Bowness on Solway, taking in urban areas, roads, lanes, tracks and the rugged hills, outcrops and escarpments of the central Great Whin Sill in the heart of Northumberland. Full guidance will be given. In the UK we call this long distance walking; in other parts of the world this is known as hiking or trekking.
- The official route is 84 miles; these are flat ‘map’ miles. There are hills and rough terrain along the way. We will take small detours to viewpoints, points of interest, museums etc. We will also walk around some of the larger villages, walk to restaurants/pubs etc. The total mileage will therefore be around 90 miles.
- Multi-day walking across valleys, hills and rough terrain requires a GOOD LEVEL OF FITNESS and stamina, as we will be walking up to 15 miles each day for 6 days in succession.
- You MUST train for this long distance walk by undertaking a number of training walks and increase your exercise and activity levels for several weeks prior to this walk. You MUST complete at least FOUR 2-day walks of at least 12 miles on consecutive days prior to this walking holiday (I would suggest four walking weekends).
- Please provide your own walking boots, and ensure they are properly worn in and comfortable.
- The terrain includes urban areas, roads, lanes, tracks, field, riverside, woodland, moorland and hill paths and tracks, some of which are uneven, rough, rocky, wet and boggy underfoot. The route also includes lanes and roads, as well as stiles and stream crossings. We may also experience adverse weather conditions on the hills.
- There are ascents and descents along the way, particularly along the middle sections of the walk where Hadrian’s Wall follows the Great Whin Sill (rock outcrops). There will be rest stops throughout the day, as well as 30-mins for lunch.
- Please provide a packed lunch each day, as it is not a good idea to rely on pubs/cafes for lunchtime food. We will call into cafes along the way for refreshments, however, as this is an adventurous activity then we ask you to only consume alcohol in the evenings.
- Mark Reid is an experienced Mountain Leader. Mark has walked over 24,000 miles of footpaths throughout the North of England over the last 25 years and knows the Yorkshire Dales extremely well. Since 2007, we have taken over 13,000 people out walking in the hills.
- Part of the attraction of valley and hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- The contract for this Walking Holiday is with Coast to Coast Packhorse.
- Terms and Conditions.