Coast to Coast Reunion Walking Weekend Kirkby Stephen, Yorkshire Dales
Exclusive walking weekend for TeamWalking’s Coast to Coast walkers!
NB: we are currently unable to provide any outdoor clothing or kit. The evening social events will be subject to any Covid restrictions at the time of the event.
Calling all Coast to Coast walkers!
Join us for our 2021 ‘Coast to Coast reunion walking weekend’ in the lovely small town of Kirkby Stephen, set in the heart of the beautiful Eden Valley with the hills and fells of the Westmorland Dales, Nine Standards and Mallerstang close by.
Join Mark Reid and your fellow Coast to Coasters for a weekend of great walks, good laughs and pub evenings.
ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE…
- Friday evening ‘get-together’ at the Pennine Hotel, Kirkby Stephen
- Guided walks on Saturday and Sunday with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Explore the geology, history & heritage of the Vale of Eden, Mallerstang and the Westmorland Dales
- Saturday evening Pub Quiz Night, with a Coast to Coast theme!
Friday evening (9pm) – Meet at the Pennine Hotel, Kirkby Stephen for our ‘get-together’ pub evening, where you can relax, socialise and meet up with your Coast to Coast friends.
Arriving early on Friday? Mark Reid will be eating at the pub at 7:30pm on Friday evening – you are most welcome to join us for a meal; just let us know so we can add you to our table.
Saturday evening (7:30pm) – Meal at the Pennine Hotel, Kirkby Stephen (optional), followed by a Coast to Coast themed Pub Quiz Night with Mark Reid as your quizmaster! Prizes for the winning team.
Superb guided walks with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader) that showcase the very best of the beautiful landscapes that surround Kirkby Stephen, in the north-western Yorkshire Dales, which are known as the Westmorland Dales. The precise routes will be determined just before the weekend, taking into consideration weather conditions etc.
Saturday (9:30am) – An adventurous full day’s walk taking in Nine Standards Rigg, High Seat, Mallerstang and Pendragon Castle. Return back to the pub late afternoon to recount your day’s adventures.
Sunday (10am) – A more leisurely walk, taking in Smardale Gill Nature Reserve. Return back to the pub mid afternoon for a final drink before bidding fond farewells…
Kirkby Stephen facilities & accommodation
How to get to Kirby Stephen
There is a train station at Kirkby Stephen on the Settle and Carlisle Railway. Kirkby Stephen lies along the A685 between the M6 at Tebay (Jct 38) and the A66 at Brough.
Kirkby Stephen boasts several hotels, pubs, B&Bs, a hostel and campsite. It also has lots of shops, cafes and restaurants including a small supermarket, outdoor shops, bakeries and banks.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark Reid has walked over 23,000 miles of footpaths over the past 24 years, and has taken over 12,000 people out walking in the countryside. Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
For information about our other guides, please click here
Experience & fitness
- This walking weekend is for people who have completed the Coast to Coast walk with TeamWalking or who have booked on to our Coast to Coast walk in the forthcoming year.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times. All walks may include uneven ground, rough and rocky terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, valleys, moorland, hills, fells, mountains, pathless hillsides, paths and tracks, lanes and country roads as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats. Please provide boots.
- We are fully qualified, insured and first aid trained Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 12,000 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Over 18s – this walking weekend is designed for adults.
- Our full Terms and Conditions can be found here