1-day Guided Mountain Hikes Fairfield Horseshoe, Lake District
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Walk the Fairfield Horseshoe, one of Lakeland’s classic ’rounds’.
Reach the summit of Fairfield (873m) and walk the classic horseshoe walk with an experienced Mountain Leader, taking in the summits of Heron Pike, Great Rigg, Fairfield, Hart Crag, Dove Crag and High Pike.
Experience the thrill of the mountains, with spectacular views, dramatic landscapes and a real sense of achievement as you reach the summit.
- Experience the thrill of the mountains
- Walk in confidence with a Mountain Leader
- Learn new mountain skills along the way
- Small group sizes (max. 8 per walk)
- Enjoy a full day’s walking along a classic mountain route
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9:30am: Meet at Ambleside. Discuss the day ahead.
9:45am – 5pm: Full day’s mountain hike to the summit of Fairfield, via the famous ’round’ of the Fairfield Horseshoe.
5pm: Debrief back at Ambleside, then head home
NB: All timings are approximate. The route is approximately 18.5-km (11.5 miles), with 1,060m of ascent and descent across mountainous terrain. The route is steep and rocky in places, and includes prolonged sections across broad mountain ridges that are exposed to the elements.
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- No previous experience required as full guidance will be given.
- A good level of fitness is required as the walk will be strenuous and will include steep and mountainous terrain. This is a physically demanding full day in the mountains.
- All walks will include uneven ground, rough and mountainous/rocky terrain, stream crossings, steep ground, sustained climbs up and downhill, rocks/boulders/scree, and mountain summits; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 17,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk. of accident and/or injury By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions