Ullswater Way Lake District challenge walk
With Mark Reid FRGS – author of ‘The Inn Way’ guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Walk around England’s most beautiful lake in a day!
34 km (21 miles) – 650 metres of ascent – 10 hours
The Ullswater Way is a 21-mile walking route around Ullswater, the most beautiful lake in the Lake District!
Mark Reid knows the Lake District like the back of his hand and will guide you around this wonderful route (whilst sharing his knowledge of the area), so that you can forget about navigation and enjoy the fantastic views and wonderful landscapes instead.
Discover for yourself the breathtaking scenery and fascinating history of this area, with a group of like-minded walkers.
Highlights include: Villages of Pooley Bridge, Howtown, Sandwick Bay, Patterdale and Glenridding, the Bronze Age Cockpit Stone Circle, Ullswater’s stunning eastern shoreline, views of the Helvellyn and High Street mountain ranges, Aira Force waterfalls, Gowbarrow Fell, Iron Age farmstead of Maiden Castle and the shoreline that inspired Wordsworth’s daffodils.
This guided walk is designed for solo or small groups of walkers who want to tackle the Ullswater Way walk in one day, but don’t want to worry about route finding.
- Fully guided walk with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Experience the camaraderie of walking a challenge route with other like-minded walkers
- Discover the history, heritage, flora and fauna of Ullswater
- Share your sense of achievement with your fellow walkers
- Small group sizes – maximum 8 people per walk
- You are GUARANTEED not to get lost on our guided walk!
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
7:45am: Meet at Pooley Bridge
8am – 6:30pm: Guided walk around the Ullswater Way (21 miles)
6:30pm: Debrief back at Pooley Bridge, then head home
NB: Finish time is approximate
YOUR GUIDE - MARK REID
MARK REID is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including ‘The Inn Way’ series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark has a BA (Hons) Geography degree from the University of Lancaster and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS). Mark has walked over 28,000 miles of footpaths since 1997, and has taken over 17,000 people out walking in the countryside – he’s been an Outdoor Professional for 26 years! Mark has appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the TV walks series ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1’s The Dales.
EXPERIENCE, FITNESS & INFORMATION
- This is a long distance challenge walk that covers 34-km (21 miles) in a single day, with 650m of ascent around the shores, farmland and low fells that surround Ullswater in the Lake District. It will take around 10 hours to complete. It is a long and demanding walk, with rough terrain in places.
- A good level of fitness and stamina will be required to complete this walk; preparation and training will be necessary.
- Successful completion of this walk will depend upon your own level of fitness, stamina and preparation, as well as good fitting boots and no minor injuries along the walk, such as blisters, pulled muscles or sore knees etc. By taking part in this guided walk, you understand and accept the risks involved in undertaking a long distance challenge walk. Participation of this guided walk is no guarantee of successful completion.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 17,000 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimise potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our walks are suitable for all ages. Under 18s (minimum age 14) may attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The child must be accompanied at all times during the walk by their parent/legal guardian.
- Terms and Conditions