With Mark Reid
author of 'The Inn Way' & Mountain Leader
Middleham - Leyburn - Bolton Castle - West Burton
24 miles - 800 m ascent - 11 hours
WATCH A VIDEO OF THIS WALK - CLICK HERE
The Yorkshire Square Walk was first devised in 1999 by Mark Reid as a challenge walk to celebrate the launch of Black Sheep Brewery's Yorkshire Square Ale and also raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Successfully held for three years, this challenge walk then fell by the wayside due to footpath closures during the 2001 Foot & Mouth crisis.
Mark Reid re-launched this fantastic challenge walk in 2014, and now offers it as a 1-day guided challenge walk, with Mark leading the way and sharing his knowledge of the Yorkshire Dales with you. The route takes in the beautiful rolling countryside of Wensleydale, with castles, waterfalls, villages and wonderful views along the way. The highest point is the moorland 'pass' between the valleys of Walden and Coverdale (485 metres), but for most of the route the walk follows field, woodland and riverside paths walking from village to village.
Highlights include: Middleham Castle, Leyburn Shawl, Redmire Church, Bolton Castle, Carperby, Aysgarth Falls, West Burton, Height of Hazely moorland pass, Coverdale, Braithwaite Hall and Hullo Bridge.
It is a demanding walk due to its length (38 km / 24 miles) and so must be approached with preparation and training, but it is also an rewarding walk that will be remembered for many years.
Mark Reid knows Wensleydale like the back of his hand and will guide you around this route (whilst also sharing his knowledge of the area), so that you can forget about navigating and concentrate on enjoying the walk and raising money for your chosen charity instead!
This guided walk is designed for solo or small groups of walkers who want to take on the Yorkshire Square Walk, but don't want to worry about route finding.
- Fully guided walk with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Experience the comaraderie of walking a challenge route with other like-minded walkers
- Discover the history, heritage, flora and fauna of Wensleydale
- Share your sense of achievement with your fellow walkers
- Raise money for your own chosen charity
- Small group sizes - maximum 10 people per walk
- You are GUARANTEED not to get lost on our guided walk!
7:45am: Meet at Middleham
8am - 6pm: Fully guided walk around the Yorkshire Square Walk
6pm: Well deserved celebratory drink at the White Swan at Middleham!
NB: Finish time is approximate
ONLYfor the full day
- Full details of what to wear and bring, as well as what to expect along the walk
- Fully guided walk around the Yorkshire Square Walk, with Mark Reid - qualified and insured Mountain Leader
- Completers Certificate
- Goodie Bag (sponsored by Black Sheep Brewery)
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required.
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
NB: Please provide a packed lunch, lots of snack food and plenty of water for this walk, as well as a good pair of walking boots. * Vouchers issued on the walk. Over 18s - our events are designed for adults.
Please see the Walk Overview for full details of what to wear, bring and general advice.
CHARITY CHALLENGE WALK
The Yorkshire Square Walk was originally devised to raise funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care. You may wish to raise money for Marie Curie, or for your own chosen charity.
We provide the guiding services for the walk so you can concentrate on raising money for charity. It is not essential that you raise money - you are more than welcome to complete this challenge walk for your own enjoyment.
You can create an online fundraising profile using these popular Fundraising Websites:
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1's The Dales.
Experience, fitness & information
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- This is a long distance challenge walk that covers 38 km (24 miles) in a single day, with 800m of ascent that will take around 11 hours to complete. It is a long and demanding walk, with rough terrain in places as well as high ground across a moorland pass.
- A reasonable level of fitness and stamina will be required to complete this walk; preparation and training will be necessary.
- Successful completion of this walk will depend upon your own level of fitness, stamina and preparation, as well as good fitting boots and no minor injuries along the walk, such as blisters, pulled muscles or sore knees etc. By taking part in this guided walk, you understand and accept the risks involved in undertaking a long distance challenge walk. Participation of this guided walk is no guarantee of successful completion.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions