Wharfedale Three Peaks challenge
Yorkshire Dales challenge walk
With Mark Reid
author of 'The Inn Way' & Mountain Leader
Birks Fell - Buckden Pike - Great Whernside
21 miles - 1,200m ascent - 11 hours
The Wharfedale Three Peaks Challenge is a new hill-walking challenge that takes in the summits of Birks Fell (610m), Buckden Pike (702m) and Great Whernside (704m), the three mighty fells that enclose Upper Wharfedale.
Mark Reid knows Upper Wharfedale like the back of his hand and will guide you around this route (whilst sharing his knowledge of the area), so that you can forget about navigation and enjoy the fantastic views and wonderful landscapes instead.
It is a demanding walk that must be approached with preparation and training, but it is also an extremely rewarding walk that will be remembered for many years, for the views and landscapes along the way are simply breath-taking, from stunning valleys to wild moors and lonely fells.
Route: Kettlewell, Old Cote Moor, Birks Fell, Horse Head Pass, Yockenthwaite, Scar House, Cray, Buckden Pike, Memorial Cross, Great Whernside, Hag Dyke and back to Kettlewell. The walk is 34 km (21 miles) with 1,200 metres of ascent.
Highlights include: Broad moorland ridge between Wharfedale and Littondale, wild moorland of Birks Fell, superb views on the descent from Horse Head, Langstrothdale Chase, Wharfedale's highest pub, Roman road, stunning views from the summit of Buckden PIke, WWII Memorial Cross, monastic roads and Iron Age defensive ditches, the plateau of Great Whernside and the highest chapel in England.
This guided walk is designed for solo or small groups of walkers who want to take on the Wharfedale Three Peaks challenge walk, but don't want to worry about route finding.
- Fully guided walk with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Experience the comaraderie of walking a challenge route with other like-minded walkers
- Discover the history, heritage, flora and fauna of Wharfedale
- Share your sense of achievement with your fellow walkers
- Raise money for your own chosen charity
- Small group sizes - maximum 10 people per walk
- You are GUARANTEED not to get lost on our guided walk!
7:45am: Meet at Kettlewell
8am - 7pm: Guided walk around the Wharfedale Three Peaks challenge
7pm: Well deserved celebratory drink at the Racehorses Hotel at Kettlewell
NB: Finish time is approximate
ONLYfor the full day
- Full details of what to wear, bring and what to expect along the walk
- Guided walk around the Wharfedale Three Peaks challenge, with Mark Reid
- Completers Certificate
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required.
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
NB: Please provide a packed lunch, lots of snack food and plenty of water for this walk, as well as a good pair of walking boots. Over 18s - our events are designed for adults.
Please see the Walk Overview for full details of what to wear, bring and general advice.
CHARITY CHALLENGE WALK
You may wish to raise money for your own chosen charity.
We provide the guiding services for the walk so you can concentrate on raising money for charity. It is not essential that you raise money - you are more than welcome to complete this challenge walk for your own enjoyment.
You can create an online fundraising profile using these popular Fundraising Websites:
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1's The Dales.
Experience, fitness & information
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- This is a long distance challenge walk that covers 34-km (21 miles) in a single day, with 1,200m of ascent and three hill/fell summits (one at 610m, two over 700m) that will take around 11 hours to complete. It is a long and demanding walk, with rough terrain in places as well as high ground across moorland, hills and fells.
- A reasonable level of fitness and stamina will be required to complete this walk; preparation and training will be necessary.
- Successful completion of this walk will depend upon your own level of fitness, stamina and preparation, as well as good fitting boots and no minor injuries along the walk, such as blisters, pulled muscles or sore knees etc. By taking part in this guided walk, you understand and accept the risks involved in undertaking a long distance challenge walk. Participation of this guided walk is no guarantee of successful completion.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions