Night Navigation evening course
in the Yorkshire Dales
With Mark Reid
author of 'The Inn Way' guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Ever got caught in the dark at the end of your walk?
Do you worry about what to do if the mist comes down?
This evening training course will give you the key skills needed to deal with nightfall and/or poor visibility when out on the hills.
Ideal as a refresher for NNAS Silver award holders or those working towards their NNAS Silver/Gold awards or ML assessment as well as experienced hill-walkers who wish to brush up their hill skills.
Do you want to...
- Learn micro navigation skills, including contour interpretation
- Master accurate distance estimation
- Get to grips with key map and compass skills
- Learn what features to use and what to look for on the map
- Take bearings and follow them in the dark
- Walk in confidence with an experienced Mountain Leader
- Savour the outdoors at night under a starlit sky (hopefully!)
- Experience a new nocturnal world amongst the hills of the Yorkshire Dales
6pm: Meet at the village pub for a briefing
6:30pm - 10:30pm: Fully guided night navigation training walk, taking in paths, tracks, hills and open country.
10:30pm: Well deserved drink back at the village pub (finish time is approximate).
ONLYfor the evening
- Night navigation training with Mark Reid (Mountain Leader)
- Head-torch for the evening
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required.
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
NB: We meet at 6pm, and finish back at the village pub at 10:30pm (approx.). Please provide snack food and a drink (preferably a hot flask), as well as your own walking boots. Over 18s - our events are designed for adults.
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1's The Dales.
- No previous hill-walking experience is required as full guidance will be given.
- These guided Night Navigation walks will include rough terrain, a number of inclines and reduced visibility; we may encounter adverse weather conditions.
- Walking at night requires extra care and attention, as visibility is reduced and it is also usually colder at night.
- A reasonable level of fitness will be required.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions