2-day Mountain Skills courses
in the Lake District
With Mark Reid
author of 'The Inn Way' guidebooks & Mountain Leader
Enjoy the freedom of the fells with our Mountain Skills courses - a world of adventurous exploration awaits!
Our Mountain Skills courses are personal skills courses, accredited by Mountain Training, that will give you the confidence to plan and follow your own walks across the Lakeland fells and mountains.
Do you want to…?
- Improve your navigation skills
- Gain confidence in the hills & mountains
- Deal with steep and rocky ground
- Plan safe routes and understand mountain weather
- Know what to do when the mist comes down
- Know what clothing and kit to take
- Enjoy rewarding, inspirational and exhilerating mountain days
- Spend two days in the mountains with an experienced Mountain Leader
Walking in the mountains is a rewarding and exhilerating experience.
To stay safe and enjoy your time out on the fells you need some key skills and knowledge to guide you on your way.
This course is designed for walkers who want to move their walking from valleys and hills to the fells and mountains.
Some hill walking experience would be beneficial to get the most from this course.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- 2-day enjoyable and sociable courses, based from a Lakeland inn
- Introduction to the key skills you need to enhance your enjoyment of the UK hills and mountains
- Practically based within small groups (max. 8 per tutor)
- 2 full mountain days tin the heart of the Lake District
On both days, we will walk classic Lakeland routes whilst looking at various skills along the way at appropriate opportunities. The course will include route planning and preparation, weather and seasonal effects, map and compass skills, navigation in the hills and mountains, walking skills, dealing with steep ground, clothing & equipment, environmental knowledge, hazards and emergency procedures.
9am: Meet at a country pub to discuss the day ahead over tea/coffee
10:30am - 4:30pm: Full day's walk in the Lake District (we usually wallk between 5 and 8 miles over the course of the day)
4:30pm - 5pm: de-brief back at the village pub
7:30pm: Meet at the village pub for a meal (optional)
Evening: Route planning exercise for the next day (in the pub!)
9:30am - 4pm: Full day's fantastic walk in the Lake District, where each person navigates a section of the route they planned the night before, shadowed by Mark Reid (we usually walk slightly further on the second day and cover around 8 miles, although this is tailored for each group)
4pm - 5pm: De-brief at the village pub then head home.
NB: This course doesn't include climbing but may include scrambling (Grade 1)
for the MOUNTAIN SKILLS course
- Tea/coffee first morning
- 2 full days' hill or mountain walking and skills training with a Mountain Leader (guiding & instruction)
- OS map and compass for the course
- Course Folder (including course notes)
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required.
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
NB: Please provide a packed lunch for both days, your own walking boots, travel and accommodation (if applicable). Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults.
REGISTRATION FOR THE SCHEME (Mountain Training)
In addition to the price of the course, all participants are required to register with Mountain Training. This is a one-off cost and allows access to the Hill and/or Mountain Skills courses.
for Mountain Training registration
Registration cost includes:
- Access to the Mountain Training Digital Logbook
- A copy of the 'Safety on Mountains' handbook
- Certificate of attendance for both courses
- Access to technical advice from Mountain Training
Once you have booked your place, please register with Mountain Training via their website - click here
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Mountain Leader and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV's The Dales. Mark teaches hill and navigation skills to Natural England's land advisers.
- An interest in and some experience of summer hill-walking would be benefitial for this Mountain Skills course.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and average fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as we will be walking across hills or mountans.
- We usually cover between 6 and 8 miles over the course of each day, with plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough and rocky terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, moorland, hills and mountains (including summits), tracks and lanes, as well as a number of steep ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our guides are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,000 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- TeamWalking is an Approved Provider of the Mountain Training 'Hill & Mountain Skills Scheme.
- Terms and Conditions