Gift Vouchers1-day Map Reading courses
in the Yorkshire Dales
in conjunction with...
1-day map reading, navigation, walking and outdoor skills courses in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, with Mark Reid - GET MORE FROM YOUR WALKS!
Do you want to...?
- Plan your own walks
- Understand an OS map
- Learn how to use a compass
- Learn how to navigate properly
- Feel more confident in the outdoors
- Learn new outdoor skills
- Stay safe on the hills
The day will begin at 9am with a complimentary tea/coffee whilst we discuss the day ahead and finish at around 5pm back at the pub or Bivouac cafe for a debrief and a well-earned drink!
- Tea/coffee when we meet in the morning at a country pub or Bivouac cafe
- Full day's navigation, map and compass skills training
- Detailed course notes
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required
- OS map and compass for the day
- 15% discount at Cotswold Outdoor (in-store and online)*
- £10 TeamWalking discount voucher for use against future courses*
No previous experience required; suitable for all abilities. All participants must provide their own packed lunch and walking boots. Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults. * Vouchers will be issued on the course
"I wanted to say how very much I had enjoyed yesterday! I thought it was an excellent course and day and feel that I have learned such a lot. I thought the route you planned was very special and the scenery was fantastic and I plan to do that route again hopefully in the not too distant future. It certainly makes one think a lot more about one's environment and in a different way and helps to build the confidence at so many levels. I will never quite view a map in the same way again, but think I need a little more practise with my compass - but I will get there! It was good to meet you, and thank you again for a most enjoyable day." Nicole Harris, Map Reading course, June 2012
"Thank you for a very enjoyable and informative day yesterday. I learnt so much! Went for an 8 mile walk from Malham Tarn today and practised everything you taught us yesterday. Husband most impressed when I was able to identify which of two paths to take using my compass!!" S. Yule, Map reading course, October 2012
1-DAY MAP READING COURSE DATES - Wednesdays- Devonshire Arms Hotel
- 13th March 2013 FULLY BOOKED
- 12th June 2013 4 PLACES
- 11th September 2013 7 PLACES
MALHAM Lister Arms
- 17th April 2013 FULLY BOOKED
- 17th July 2013 4 PLACES
- 16th October 2013 7 PLACES
- 15th May 2013 FULLY BOOKED
- 21st August 2013 5 PLACES
- 24th July 2013 8 PLACES
- 4th September 2013 10 PLACES
PRICE PER PERSON
per person for the day
AVAILABILITY & BOOKING
NB: Once payment has been made, please complete a Booking Form and return it to us
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 12,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark also appears on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, and recently appeared on ITV1's The Dales.
Experience & fitness:
- No experience required. Full training and guidance will be given.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and average fitness levels.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 400 groups out walking (over 3,000 people), and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.