1-day Map Reading courses
in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales
"Thanks for a cracking day. I learnt so much even after 40+ years of walking! I think anybody who walks in the hills should do this course!" D. Wolverson
"A fabulous day out in the Dales; learning, sharing and laughing. I'd recommend the course to anyone who enjoys walking in the countryside: no matter what your existing skill level, you can learn something new.” B. Crookes
Navigation skills are your passport to freedom on the hills
Our most popular course - 549 people in past 4 years
Do you want to...?
- Plan your own walks and understand weather forecasts
- Understand and visualise an OS map
- Learn how to use a compass to find your way
- Learn how to navigate properly
- Feel more confident in the outdoors
- Learn new outdoor skills
- Stay safe on the hills
CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS
We meet at these great country pubs...
Askrigg, Wensleydale - Kings Arms
Aysgarth Falls, Wensleydale - Aysgarth Falls Hotel
Buckden, Wharfedale - National Trust's bunkhouse
Burnsall, Wharfedale - Red Lion
Clapham, Three Peaks area - New Inn
Grassington, Wharfedale - Devonshire Hotel
Kettlewell, Wharfedale - Racehorses Hotel
Malham, Malhamdale - Lister Arms
Malham Tarn, Malhamdale - National Trust centre
Reeth, Swaledale - Buck Hotel
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at the village pub to discuss the day ahead over complementary tea/coffee. Route planning, weather forecasts and key map skills.
10:30am - 5pm: Full day's map, compass and navigation training in the Yorkshire Dales. The walk will usually cover around 5 or 6 miles over the course of the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practice skills and ask questions.
5pm: De-brief back at the pub, and a well-earned drink!
ONLY £55 per person for the day
- Tea/coffee when we meet in the morning at a country pub
- Full day's navigation, map and compass skills training
- Detailed course notes
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required
- OS map and compass for the day
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
No previous experience required. All participants must provide their own packed lunch and walking boots. Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults.
"I wanted to say how very much I had enjoyed yesterday! I thought it was an excellent course and day and feel that I have learned such a lot. I thought the route you planned was very special and the scenery was fantastic and I plan to do that route again hopefully in the not too distant future. It certainly makes one think a lot more about one's environment and in a different way and helps to build the confidence at so many levels. I will never quite view a map in the same way again, but think I need a little more practise with my compass - but I will get there! It was good to meet you, and thank you again for a most enjoyable day." Nicole Harris, Map Reading course
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1's The Dales.
Experience & fitness:
- No experience required. Full training and guidance will be given.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, moorland, hills and valleys, tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves & hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions