1-day Compass & Contours course
in the Yorkshire Dales
Hill Skills in the Yorkshire Dales, with Mark Reid
1-day Compass & Contours courses in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
This 1-day course will introduce you to the key hill skills needed to navigate across hills and open country, with an emphasis on compass bearings and contour interpretation.
This course is suitable for people who already have some navigation skills and wish to develop these skills further. It is ideal for experienced hillwalkers who want to relate map contours with landform, a refresher for NNAS Bronze and Silver award holders or those working towards their NNAS Gold award or ML assessment. Or maybe you just want an adventurous day out on the hills...
Do you want to...?
- Develop your hill skills
- Understand contours and how they relate to the land
- Learn how to take and follow compass bearings
- Navigate using the landscape and natural features
- Follow routes away from paths and tracks
- Navigate in poor visibility or featureless terrain
- Stay safe on the hills
OUTLINE OF THE DAY
9am: Meet at a country pub to discuss the day ahead over complementary tea/coffee.
10am - 4:30pm: Full day's contours, compass and navigation training in the Yorkshire Dales. The walk will usually cover between 5 and 7 miles over the course of the day, with plenty of rest stops and time to practise skills and ask questions.
5pm: De-brief back at the pub or cafe, and a well-earned drink!
PRICE PER PERSON
per person for the day
- Tea/coffee when we meet in the morning at a country pub
- Full day's upland contours and compass skills training
- Course notes
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required
- OS map and compass for the day
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme
Some previous hillwalking experience and/or navigation training would be beneficial to get the most out of this course. All participants must provide their own packed lunch and walking boots. Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults.
Mark Reid is the author of 17 walking guidebooks including 'The Inn Way' series. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader and Mountain Leader, and has an unrivalled knowledge of the history and geography of the North of England. Mark Reid has walked over 16,000 miles of footpaths over the last decade. Mark has also appeared on ITV YORKSHIRE on the monthly TV walks series 'A Breath of Fresh Air' along with ITV weatherman Jon Mitchell, as well as ITV1's The Dales.
Experience & fitness:
- Some previous walking experience and an interest in hill-walking would be benefitial, although full training and guidance will be given.
- All walks are tailored specifically for each group according to your needs, aspirations, experience and fitness levels. However, a reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times.
- We usually cover around 6 miles over the course of the day, and there will be plenty of rest stops to learn new skills. The terrain we will be walking across will include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, open moorland (including heather), hills and open country tracks and lanes, as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions.
- We can provide full BERGHAUS walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats.
- We are fully insured (public, civil & professional indemnity insurance)
- All of our instructors are fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people out walking, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of valley, hill and mountain walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill and mountain walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk of accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
Over 18s - our courses are designed for adults
- Terms and Conditions